Ultimately responsible to the Lower Platte South NRD Assistant General Manager. Depending on jobs being performed, will be under general supervision and guidance of the NRCS District Conservationist or NRD staff member assigned that responsibility. The employee will primarily assist NRCS personnel with work related to the installation of soil and water conservation practices. Some work on special natural resources projects and programs of the NRD will also be required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The employee may be assigned other duties.
- The employee will provide technical assistance to land users and others to establish conservation practices such as terraces, waterways, tile outlets, diversions, dams, contour farming, conservation tillage, pasture seeding, and others. The individual will be expected to conduct the appropriate surveys, design, and draft the paperwork, and record the installation of the practices. The employee will maintain records and accomplishments and prepare the reports as directed.
- The employee will work primarily in Lancaster and Cass Counties but may be expected to aid throughout the NRD.
- The employee will be expected to make contacts with landowners as requested.
- The employee may be asked to provide recommendations on projects.
- The employee may be assigned specific NRD projects or expected to assist other NRD staff in accomplishing certain NRD projects, programs, and inspections.
- The employee will be expected to provide general office support as needed.
- The employee will receive intensive and specialized training in all phases of soil and water conservation and related natural resource conservation programs.
- The employee will assist in gathering and assembling preliminary data for use in developing and applying basic conservation plans.
- The employee will act in a liaison capacity between the NRD and other agencies and between the NRD and private landowners in carrying out these programs.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED: These may be acquired on the job and are needed to perform the work assigned.
- Knowledge of: Surveying and drafting methods, farming practices, the specific policies, and programs of the NRD.
- Ability to: Communicate effectively with landowners, producers, and contractors.
- Skills in: Use of surveying, drafting instrument; GPS, software including ArcGIS, Toolkit, proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have a valid Nebraska Drivers License.
- Physical: Must be able to lift a minimum of twenty (20) pounds.
Position Classification: Full-time/salary/option to receive overtime or compensatory time. Salary range $50-60,000
The closing date for applications will be March 24, 2023.
If interested, please submit a letter of interest and resume
The Lower Platte South NRD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.